I love my work as a counselor, and I never see it as burdensome! I also love that I can offer clients different techniques to help themselves at home, such practices as compassionate self inquiry, "Tapping", mindfulness, a relaxation CD, or gentle yoga. I, too, have been on my own personal path toward balance and wellness. Authenticity is important to me, so I only teach what I know and practice in my own daily life. I have found that the most effective therapy is interactive, holistic, and focused on solutions, not always just the problem. My life-long passion has been to empower women, men and children to reach their highest potential, learning to trust in the basic goodness of themselves and of life. My office is located in a private, peaceful and beautiful setting in Williamsville, NY, just 15 minutes outside of Buffalo.
With 2 Master's Degrees, advanced certifications and over 25 years experience working with children and adults, in clinical and educational settings, I have developed my own blended style of counseling. Through many different types of training, I also have developed a unique set of complementary skills in the areas of nutrition, yoga, meditation, and breathing techniques. These are VERY helpful techniques which really complement traditional "talk-therapy". When these practices are used at home, they will help you or your child maintain emotional and behavioral balance. Please refer to my "Services" page for more details.
My professional goal is to offer you support and an opportunity to grow. I will invite you to practice new behaviors and thought patterns which will help relieve your suffering, and create more balance between your heart-mind-body. You will find that I am respectful of your abilities and strengths, accepting of who you really are, and optimistic about your future! With compassion and understanding, I will do my best to listen, support and guide you toward what YOU want to achieve.
On a personal level, I am happily married and have 2 adult children (and a few pets). I love to exercise, and maintain a daily yoga/meditation practice. I enjoy gardening, playing tennis, reading non-fiction, and being out in nature. Before I became a clinical counselor, I was "counseling" as a teacher, and speech therapist, and gained years of experience presenting various trainings at local schools, churches and parent groups. In my spare time, I am an assistant trainer for therapists learning the Internal Family Systems Therapy model, doing trainings in various parts of the country. I also lead women's workshops and weekend retreats for personal growth and spiritual alignment.
... I know from experience, that life can keep getting better. Just don't give up.
- Un. of Denver - Speech Pathology and Communication DisordersM.S
- M.A. Canisius College, Buffalo, NY - Counseling Education
License, Certifications & Awards:
- NY Licensed Mental Health Counselor #003416
- Certified IFS (Internal Family Systems) Therapist
1996 "Citizen of the Year" by the National Association of
Additional Training :
- 200+ hours training in play and sandtray therapy
- NY State Office of Mental Health training in "Cognitive-Behavioal Therapy" for depression and trauma
- "Lifeforce Yoga" for depression and anxiety
- Shambhala and Insight Meditation Level V
- Advanced Reiki - Level 3
- Professional Activities and Memberships
- Chi Sigma Iota Professional Honor Society for Professional Excellence International
- American Counseling Association
- NY State Mental Health Counselors Association
- Assistant Program IFS Training
- EMDRIA (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing International Association)
- IAYT (International Association for Yoga Therapists)